World War 2 obviously produced so many significant quotes. Here are some World War 2 quotes which are still very meaningful today.
Quotes from pre-war peace
- I believe it is peace in our time.- Neville Chamberlain, 1938
- Today we rule Germany, tomorrow, the world. - Adolf Hitler
- We no longer demand anything, we want war. - Germany's foreign minister, August 11, 1939.
- We must remind future generations what happened in 1936-1942, so that we will not make a wrong step again, so that our sons will have a chance to live. - Wing Commander Guy Gibson, VC, R.A.F, 1943. (Gibson was killed over occupied Europe in 1944).
Quotes about fighting totalitarian aggressors
- Sure, we want to go home. We want this war over with. The quickest way to get it over with is to go get the bastards who started it. - George Patton
- No compromise is possible and the victory of the democracies can only be complete with the utter defeat of the war machines of Germany and Japan. - George Marshall
Quotes of leadership
- We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender. - Winston Churchill.
- I am asking of no man more than I myself was ready throughout four years to do - Adolf Hitler (In World War 1 Hitler was decorated twice for bravery in combat and was also wounded twice)
- I never worry about action, only inaction. - Winston Churchill.
- I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. - Winston Churchill.
Quotes about courage
- History knows no greater display of courage than that shown by the people of the Soviet Union. - Henry Stimson.
- Among the men who fought on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue - Admiral Nimitz.
Quotes about air power
- Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. - Winston Churchill, about R.A.F fighter pilots.
- Air superiority is the ultimate expression of military power. - Winston Churchill.
- Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, in land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder.
- Anyone who fights, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy who dominates the air, is like a primitive warrior who stands against modern forces, with the same limitations and the same chance of success. - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
Quotes about Nazi war crimes
- The world must know what happened, and never forget. - General Eisenhower, while visiting Nazi death camps, 1945.
- A thousand years will pass and the guilt of Germany will not be erased - Hans Frank, the Nazi governor of Poland.
Contemporary quotes about the war
- Historically, democratic societies have been slow to react to gathering threats, tending instead to wait to confront threats until they are too dangerous to ignore or until it is too late. Despite Nazi Germany's repeated violations of the Versailles Treaty and its string of provocations throughout the mid-1930s, the western democracies did not take action until 1939. The US Government did not act against the growing threat from Imperial Japan until the threat became all too evident at Pearl Harbor. - Dr. Condoleezza Rice, US National security advisor, 2004
Adolf Hitler - Biography
When did Hitler lose the war ?